Wednesday, June 23, 2004

What is a 'blog'?

I was asked a while back this question, and I apologize for not responding sooner, but the truth of the matter is that I had no idea what a blog was.  It baffled me why something as special as a personal journal would be named something that sounds like it should come from a nasal passage.  So I did my homework, and this is what I came up with.

BLOG:  A frequent, chronological publication of personal thoughts and Web links.

The word 'blog' comes from 'web log'.  It is used to represent an almost infinite variety of journals by and equally almost infinite number of writers.  And what is the attraction?  The blog is the soul creation of the author.  Nobody can tell them that it is wrong.  Well, they can, but it wouldn't matter, because the blog belongs to the author to do with as he or she sees fit.  Writing a blog can be very satisfying and therapeutic.  Reading others can be educational and enjoyable.

For me, having a blog, or several as it is, has been my saving grace.  I no longer vent on the family.  I just sit down at the computer and have a cyber-pity party for a little while, then get up, brush off my hands and carry on with life, refreshed and ready to tackle anything.  The most important aspect of blogging for me is my small following of loyal readers who offer advice, share laughs and lend a shoulder when needed without judging.  I do not have to fit a stereotype or pattern, I can just be myself.  I think that is a major attraction for many bloggers.  Blog on my friends, blog on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Bloggin sure does save the family. Lori

Anonymous said...

Here here!

http://journals.aol.com/danielled1/Everybodyknows/

Danielle

Followers