Thursday, August 12, 2004

CYBER-SOCIALIZATION

I just read on the journal message board where it was stated that the internet was not a social convention.  I didn't know that!  Everyday when I log on I come in contact with dozens of other internet users and I thought that what we were doing was socializing.  True, it was not a convention, but it was true socializing.  Just because we were not face to face in the flesh, we still traded comments, shared ideas and thoughts, and with each day we learn a little more about each other, become more familiar.  We bond over cyber-space.  We develope a relationship of sorts.  What is it if not socializing?  Seriously folks, any ideas?  Cos my friends here are just as important to me as my friends in my neighborhood or at work.  Some I even like BETTER than some people I know in the flesh.  Is there an alternative name for this alternative form of friendship and aquaintence?  If not should we make one up?  Or should we all just consider them all as friends.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw and answered that post--a rather long answer. Bottom line is that yes, this is a social interaction. The internet is as social as anything else that brings people together. The methods are different, the results, not so much. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree these freinds are everybit as important  to me as any face to face. In fact I talk to you guys more than my face to face friends I kid you not. In fact I Have gottten more support adn more help from here than anyplace else. I dont know that it needs a special name. Right now I would name it loveland Or Joyland because this is where i Feel most loved and the most joy. HOW ABOUT LOVEJOYLAND!!!!!!!!  Lori

Anonymous said...

You've heard of ALTER-EGOS right?  We can be ALTER-FRIENDS.

Or Fake Friends

or Puter Pals

Or Compals

or ... or... okay, I'm out

angie

Anonymous said...

My friends online are much closer to me then my offline friends...my offline friends I only talk to once in awhile but my online friends I chat with everyday and we tend to get more personal online...

Anonymous said...

cyberfriendship = the best.  Nobody cares about your clothes, hairdo, or bad breath.  
And then, some of us brush our teeth and comb the hair and meet!

True friendship.  and now that I am reading your journal a little more exhaustively, I didn't know you had offered the 12-step program.  I've been through every little nuance you've described here.  Spaghetti sauce in the keyboard is really a bit of a tell-tale sign.

Please sign me up.  I am hopelessly addicted.
~~mumsy

Followers